In which Annie (high school teacher, mother of two young girls and a younger boy) and her aunt Deborah (children's bookseller, mother of two young women in their 20s) discuss children's books and come up with annotated lists.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Inside Outside

Dear Annie,

It's more of a concept book than specifically opposites, but I've always really liked
Inside Outside Upside Down
. I think your mother gave it to us. It was written by the Berenstains back before the dreaded Bears (I'm so not a BB fan), and it's wonderfully engaging and simple. It has to do with a bear getting into a box, the box being loaded upside down onto a truck, and then bouncing off the truck and landing right side up. The bear runs home to report, "Mama mama I went to town: inside, outside, upside down!" A cautionary note: this comes in a board book and a jacketless hardcover. Don't get the board book: most of the Bright & Early Board Books series have been abridged. I don't know if this one is, but the others are fairly drastic.  The cover has been tarted up to make it look like a Berenstain Bears book, but inside it's not.

I've always been a little ambivalent about
Food for Thought
: all those vegetable people feel a little weird. That said, though, I do like
How Are You Peeling?: Foods with Moods
, which isn't quite as busy at Food for Thought.  One of several good books on emotions.

Rachel posted a comment looking for good poetry books for the 2-to-5 crowd, which I fully intend to speak to, but I want to rummage around in the shelves at the store before coming up with a list of favorites.  Where does Eleanor stand on poetry? 

Love,

Aunt Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. We have Hoberman's "A House Is A House For Me" which we like (altho I think I like it more than my kids do). Interesting thought about many of these books being poetic. My 5yo has been using metaphors a lot lately ("She ran as fast as the express train" is my favorite) so I'd love to introduce her to figurative language... but maybe I already have! Anyway, I can't wait to hear your thoughts in Part 2 and Annie's as well. Also, love the makeover with the bookshelf-background.

    ReplyDelete