In which Annie (high school teacher, mother of two young girls and a younger boy) and her aunt Deborah (children's bookseller, mother of two young women in their 20s) discuss children's books and come up with annotated lists.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fuck you, kid

"Fuck your stuffed bear."
Dear Annie,

Go the Fuck to Sleep.  Wonderful pictures.  Skillful writing, with an excellent ear for good kids' lit.  It's clearly going to be a huge seller.

I find it funny for about ten seconds.  But it's  so, well, mean-spirited.  Some refrains:
I know you’re not thirsty. That’s bullshit. Stop lying. 
Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
...
Hell no, you can’t go to the bathroom. 
You know where you can go? The fuck to sleep.
...
A hot crimson rage fills my heart, love. 
For real, shut the fuck up and sleep.
...
Fuck your stuffed bear, I’m not getting you shit. 
Close your eyes. Cut the crap. Sleep.

I'm a big believer in mutual respect between adult and child as the basic principle of child-raising.  That doesn't mean there's no anger or frustration or despair at many points.  But I don't find humor in venting frustration by, as you put it, cursing at your children -- no matter how artfully done.

I look forward to getting back to books for kids in our next posts.

Love,

Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment